Paul joined Grant Thornton in 2004 and became Partner in 2006. He is a specialist forensic accountant with 20 years’ experience involving complex commercial litigation and investigations predominantly working across the island of Ireland and elsewhere in Europe. Paul delivers all elements of forensic investigations but specialises in formulating and investigating claims and unravelling sophisticated frauds.
Paul has a proven approach to challenge and critique evidence from various angles and provides innovative solutions to difficult problems. He has extensive experience of providing expert witness testimony in court and elsewhere for example UK’s Dispute Adjudication Board.
In 1996 he joined the Litigation Support Department of a Big Four firm in London where he investigated allegations of fraud involving BCCI, Robert Maxwell and Polly Peck, and acted in several high profile commercial litigation and arbitration cases and brings this experience with him in his work across Northern Ireland.
Paul's forensic experience includes:
- provision of expert witness evidence in legal proceedings in the Commercial Court instructed by the defendant to assess a claim in excess of €100 million (Redfern-v-Liam Carroll & Ors);
- assessment of losses arising from alleged solicitor negligence and provision of expert witness report. The Claim for €18 million was independently assessed by Paul at €500k and the case was ultimately dismissed on liability grounds in January 2012;
- assessment of amount due in a partnership buy-out in a high profile music industry case before the Commercial Court. This included a forensic review of amounts due and the provision of an expert witness report and affidavit;
- assessment of a product liability claim and loss of profits arising from defective product supplied to our plaintiff client. Claim exceeded €20 million;
- appointed by all shareholders in a dispute, to independently ascertain the financial position of the company for valuation purposes;
- valuation of Commercial Agency in accordance with the Commercial Agents Directive (EU);
- calculating losses arising under a joint venture agreement. Claim for €50 million was heard in International Chamber of Commerce;
- assessing lost profits claimed in termination of distribution and agency agreements (Commercial Court);
- calculating losses suffered by a manufacturer following breach of contract by a supplier of computer hardware and software. Claim was for €22 million;
- assessing under competition law whether the defendant’s prices for supplying a service were below economic cost and whether the defendant abused its dominant position;
- appointed as independent financial assessor by ESB and the ESB Group of Unions in 2011;
- appointed as independent expert accountant to assist Aer Lingus, IMPACT and the Labour Relations Commission in the assessment of the value of cost savings likely to be achieved through cost reduction programmes and changes to work practices;
- appointed in 2010 as independent accounting expert to Labour Relations Commission, Arbitration;
- appointed by the Department of The Taoiseach (on behalf of the National Implementation Body) as independent financial assessor in dispute between An Post and the Communication Workers’ Union;
- investigating black hole over €10 million in the accounts of subsidiary of a multinational organisation;
- investigation into allegations that a company had misled its banker by providing management accounts and other financial information that did not highlight non-compliance with banking covenants;
- investigation into allegations of misappropriation of assets and funds by an employee from a private limited company;
- fraud investigation of suspicious payments from an Irish company to the project manager of a housing development (300 houses). Paul was instrumental in negotiating the settlement of Commercial Court proceedings whereby the project manager is reimbursing funds to the company;
- investigations under S.296 and S.297 of the Companies Acts into the books and records of companies in liquidation and into the conduct of directors and allegations of fraudulent and reckless trading; and
- identification of worldwide assets and liabilities of a solicitor/property developer. Preparation of Statement of Affairs which was submitted to Court. Investigation of use of Trusts and other vehicles used to shelter assets, and movement of assets between entities and jurisdictions.
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA)
- Chartered Accountant of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants, CA(NZ)