Richard joined Grant Thornton in 2014 to lead the Belfast office’s advisory offering. In March 2015 he was also appointed Partner in Charge of Grant Thornton in Northern Ireland.
He trained as a Chartered Accountant with a Big Four firm and worked in the Belfast, London and Luxembourg offices prior to joining a rival Big Four firm, during which time he was based in Belfast and Johannesburg.
In 2004 Richard acquired a shareholding in a manufacturing business. As Joint Managing Director, he took the business in to new geographical territories, leading to significant revenue and profit growth prior to a successful disposal in 2007.
In 2008 he led the acquisition of a Northern Ireland-based outsourcing company out of administration. As Managing Director, Richard was responsible for restructuring the business and returning it to healthy profitability prior to a successful exit.
More recently, Richard has advised numerous companies on strategic and corporate finance issues, and was approached by Invest NI to act as a mentor to companies within their business growth programme, which is designed to assist companies with particularly aggressive growth targets.
Richard has extensive corporate finance and commercial experience, specialising in the following:
- advising on acquisitions/management buy-outs;
- advising on corporate disposals;
- liaising and negotiating with banks, venture capitalists and Invest NI;
- advising on strategic planning issues and feasibility studies;
- advising on family and succession plan issues;
- advising on finance raising;
- business reviews and transaction support assignments;
- investing, and creating value, in both growth and distressed businesses;
- managing the growth of a business in to new geographical territories; and
- managing the restructuring of a business and making it profitable.
- Qualified Chartered Accountant
- Accountancy degree (BSc) from The Queen’s University of Belfast
- Post-graduate diploma from The Queen’s University of Belfast